Friday, March 26, 2010


I am already agonizing over this blog which I promised myself I would not do before I started…sigh.

Going forward I am just going to write about books as I read them or as they occur to me—not giving selection so much weight. But for the first book—the all important first book, it seems like I should try and choose something meaningful, something to set the right tone, something that will wow you all with my insight and discerning taste. Oh brother! I am not sure I can stand the pressure (and I am not kidding).

This is really ridiculous. I just want you and your kids to read and not fuss too much about it, so I guess I should just write and not worry too much about it either! Okay. Here it goes:


My first book selection is:

The Cricket in Times Square written by George Selden and illustrated by Garth Williams

Read aloud: ages 6 to 12
Read Independently: ages 9 to 12
Of interest to: girls and boys; animal lovers, NYC enthusiasts, budding music lovers

This is the story of the friendship between a cat (Harry), a worldly, wisecracking mouse, Tucker, and a musically gifted cricket named Chester who is accidentally displaced from his home in a Connecticut meadow to the Times Square subway station. There are human characters in this as well—an engaging family, the Bellini’s, who are proprietors of a newsstand in the station. It is their son, Mario, who finds Chester and it is this that sets the whole tale in motion.

For me, the juice of this story comes not so much from the plot (although that is strong enough to keep everyone interested) but from the dynamics of the friendship between the three animal characters and from the delicious details that Selden generously sprinkles throughout the story. Through his details, he paints so vivid a picture that not only you can see the animals’ drainpipe home and the surrounding station; you can smell and feel its dampness as well. Selden’s imagination turns a matchbox and some Kleenex into a bed anyone would want to sleep in--though it is actually intended for Chester. Just wait until you see what he and Tucker can do to a lunch counter!

Garth Williams’ illustrations bring Selden’s work to life. I chose to include this picture because its fineness and detail exemplify the quality of Williams’ work throughout the book. Look at Harry closely and you will see kindness and intelligence in his eyes. Having no artistic talent myself, I am awed by great illustrators’ abilities.

This is a great book to read aloud and, by the way, don’t worry if the only way you can get your kids to be involved in a book is by reading aloud to them. Try it and just keep doing it. They will come to recognize your commitment to reading and hopefully realize that it is a valuable activity. Besides, spending quiet time together enjoying a good story is fun. Intrepid parents out there can even ask their kids to read a page or two at each session if that feels right.

Another good thing about this book is that if your child enjoys it, there are a number of sequels and even a prequel. My son and I read several and though nothing matched the first, we enjoyed them as well.

My next post is going to be about an audio book. For some of you, it might be easier, more practical, or less scary to begin by listening to a book instead of reading one. I generally don’t do this because I love the printed word and creating voices in my own imagination, but I think it is a wonderful option and am glad there a some many good ones to choose from. In fact, there is one I love so much that I listen to it every year. I believe you will be hooked as well.

Happy Reading.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know this book but it sounds like it would be perfect for us! Oh, and do you know about the monthly round up of audio books - Audiosynced? - It's the 1st Monday of every month - here are some details:

    http://abbylibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/03/dont-forget-audiosynced.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids at my house loved this book(and I include myself as a "kid"!). I read it aloud to them and they would always asking for the next installment of "the cricket book." I enjoyed your review because it helped me to vividly recall the story and how much we all enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came across your blog today and decided to follow you even though my kids are grown. I enjoyed your early blogs immensely. I also enjoy finding new kids books and revisiting favorites that I read to my kids. I recently started blogging myself and plan to take one day a week and review some books that my kids loved and new ones that I'm collecting for my grandchildren. I have a nearly 5 year old granddaughter and every time she is over we read together. I'll read a book to her and then we talk about what she liked or didn't like. I get her to tell me the story in her own words. Her version is often quite different, which is okay. I just try to get her thinking. Unfortunately, she lives with a mother that doesn't spend time reading so this has been the only exposure she's had to books. Books were like food and oxygen in our home, necessary to life. She has a vivid imagination and I hope that our reading sessions will give her a little push and help make books important in her life too.

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/
    (\___/)
    (='.'=) Happy Easter from Bun!
    (")_(")

    ReplyDelete